Tuesday 6 September 2011

Building Great Relationships with Parents

 In his book How to be an Outstanding Primary School Teacher, David Dunn talks about building relationships with parents. He makes some great recommendations. Communication with parents must be:


Regular
Dunn says that regular communication must be, "Quick, easy and profitable!" It must be as regular as you feel would be of benefit, but it must be brief. He also advises against only making contact when there's a problem - they love to hear something positive too.
Simple ways of communication could be:

  • Whole class email
  • Home/school diary
  • Reading Records/Homework diary
  • A quick word on the playground.
Honest
"Be honest but professional."

Helpful
"Be helpful /committed to helping their child(ren) to learn and develop." Always find the time for the parent who wants to help their child(ren) at home.

Approachable
"Have an open-door policy; be approachable." Make sure that if they ask to speak to you, you find the time to do so, or at least call them back as soon as possible.

Professional
"Always be professional. Parents will respect you for it."

As far as communication goes for me personally, I'm making a few resolutions:
  • I will try to be outside to meet my class and chat to parents at least two minutes before the start of every school day, instead of being so busy I run outside at the last minute.
  • I will speak to different parents each week about how pleased I am with a pupil.
  • I will send a text to parents each day about how pleased I am with a child's work/attitude/progress.
  • I will continue to send out messages to parents each week in our Reading Records/Homework Diaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment