Friday 11 November 2011

Delegation


I recently read 'How Successful Head Teachers Survive and Thrive' by Professor Tim Brighouse. It's available here. It's a really interesting read about the key tasks of being a headteacher and ways to manage the job.

There are nine levels of delegation:

  1. Look into this problem. Give me all the facts. I will decide what to do.
  2. Let me know the options available with the pros and cons of each. I will decide what to select.
  3. Let me know the criteria for your recommendation. which alternatives you have identified and which one appears best to you with any risk identified. I will make the decision.
  4. Recommend a course of action for my approval.
  5. Let me know what you intend to do. Delay action until I approve.
  6. Let me know what you intend to do. Do it unless I say not to.
  7. Take action. Let me know what you did. Let me know how it turns out.
  8. Take action. Communicate with me only if action is unsuccessful.
  9. Take action. No further communication with me is necessary.
Being consciously aware of this spectrum is a helpful guide to the need for extended professional development for others - or oneself.

No comments:

Post a Comment