Monday 1 October 2012

Monthly Review: September 2012

September was a month I'd like to forget. During this month, the baby we were expecting was miscarried. We were around 10 weeks pregnant when things began to go wrong. I'm not going to go into any more detail other than to say that the whole experience, which happened over nearly 4 long weeks, was horrible. I hope none of my readers ever have to go through something like this.

Visit to Chester Zoo
After rearranging our topics, we moved our visit to Chester Zoo to Autumn 1 as it fits better with our Animals Around The World topic. We had a great day, and it's well worth a visit if it's not too far away from you.

School Council Meeting
I love finding out the results of our School Council elections at the start of the year. As the lead teacher for the Council I'm always impressed by the maturity of the councillors in September. To see them grow during the year is a real privilege.

Transition
As part of our transition programme we reconsidered how we teach at the start of September. The first few days back do not have any 'proper' lessons as we learn work with the children to set targets, teach how to set out work in books, agree class rules, go over break routines and lots more. Hopefully we'll see the benefit of this over the year.

New teaching arrangements
This year I will only be teaching for 50% of the week. It's going to be interesting to see how this works out. I'm looking forward to having time I can devote to my management duties, but it will be hard to see my class for so little. In fact, with all that's gone on this month, I've hardly taught. Hopefully that situation improves.

No comments:

Post a Comment