Wednesday 31 December 2008

Getting Things Done by David Allen - a review

I have enjoyed reading Getting Things Done by David Allen. It is full of really practical advice for getting things done at work and at home.Its subtitle, 'How to achieve stress-free productivity' suggests the book will tell you how to get things done without worrying and getting stressed, and I really think if I followed the advice right down to the last letter I would achieve the goal of stress-free productivity. However, I get the feeling that the book is not really aimed at teachers. As a result, it doesn't really explain how to get things done in a stress-free way in between teaching a class.

I'd love to see a version of this book, or similar, aimed directly at teachers.

I have learned a lot, however. I need to plan my projects more carefully and make my to do list more effective by using subtasks (time needed to play with Toodledo here). I regularly go to bed thinking about things that need to be done, so I need to create better collection methods to store all of my ideas and tasks so that they don't buzz around in my head. I also need to realise that not everything needs to be done right now.

1 comment:

  1. It's good to hear your thoughts about the book. I've only read it once and don't follow the strategies to the letter. However, it has changed the way that I work.

    Using Toodledo as my collection area for 'things to do' has had the biggest impact. Whenever I think of anything that needs to be done, I get it out of my head and into Toodledo (via the website, or by sending an SMS to it through Twitter). It's made me much more organised, much less forgetful, and it also allows me to make the most of my time.

    Good luck with it, and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete