Saturday 7 April 2012

I've switched unions

After some consideration I've decided to change my teaching union. The union I was previously a member of was serving me well, however, I was continually being asked to strike. This is not something I'm comfortable with. I completely understand why members of the teaching profession strike. Their reasons are completely valid. I'm most definitely not casting judgement on anyone. However, it's just not for me personally.

I was pleased to discover, via Twitter, another union whose values I really like: Voice. Their core values are:

  • The strength of negotiation
"At Voice, we believe in the power of negotiation to protect the interests of our members - who never resort to industrial action."
  • Truly independent union
"Our independence from the S/TUC and non-affiliation to any political party means our thoughts and actions are dedicated to our members."
  • Supporting children. Protecting ourselves
"We're responsible for the children we educate and care for, and it's essential that we support them alongside protecting ourselves."
  • Every member is unique
"All of our members are professionals fulfilling an important role in education, early years and childcare, so it's important that we provide a dedicated and personal service, and strive for quality in everything we do."

If anyone decides to join Voice after reading this, please get in touch, and use my membership number as the person who has recommended you.

No comments:

Post a Comment