Saturday 22 October 2011

Good leadership 1: Steven Gerrard

After attending a course about leadership it got me thinking about people whose leadership I admire. Over a series of posts I will write about people who I think show good leadership. (Just to be clear though, I don't necessarily agree with their behaviour in their private lives.) First up is one of my favourite footballers.


Steven Gerrard
For me Stevie G is the most inspirational of all football captains in recent history. As well as being the complete footballer he has many qualities that I look for in a leader.


Optimistic
Stevie never gives up. He has literally changed the course of matches, often in the most desperate of situations. 


Knows the big picture
He recognises the big picture of what it means to play for Liverpool. He appreciates the history of the club and he understands the desire of the fans. 


Energy and motivation
He brings an energy to the team which can be the catalyst to motivate others. He doesn't give in to challenges and he never gives up. 


Influence
Gerrard pushes the player to perform to their full potential at all times and accepts no excuses. He leads by example with the effort he applies.


Accountability
He will accept blame for the team after a poor performance. He never seems to get too big for his boots and become complacent.


Image: http://www.soccerway.com/news/2009/May/13/gerrard-wins-player-of-year-award/

No comments:

Post a Comment