Thursday 1 January 2015

Review of 2014 and Thinking Forward to 2015

It's that time of year again when we look back and look forwards.

Review of 2014:
I didn't feel like I achieved much in 2014. But when I started to think about what has gone on, actually I've probably achieved a lot. 
  • Watching Lily become a real little lady. She loves going to Nursery for a couple of days a week and her development is a joy to watch. She'll be ready for school in September.
  • Finding out that Lisa and I are having another baby. It was incredible news (especially after our sad news in 2012).
  • A holiday in Somerset was great because it was a holiday, but rubbish because it was at Pontins. We had a brilliant time!
  • We went on holiday with mum and dad to Beaumaris. Our whole family came up for the day too. We had a really amazing break.
  • We went to see Jack Whitehall in March. He was quality!
  • Unfortunately my goals for 2014 were not even close to being achieved. Life got in the way. Never mind - let's move on.
  • I managed to get lots of things sorted in our garden. Lots more to do, but I've made a start.
  • I moved my office in the house and decorated the nursery. It was hard work - I wish I was better at DIY.
  • The death of my uncle right at the end of the year was really sad. I hope my dad will be ok in the first few weeks of the new year as he comes to terms with it.
  • My brother got married in December. It was a beautiful wedding. The stag do in August was a brilliant weekend in Newcastle.
  • It was fantastic to see one of my other brothers finally find a girlfriend who loves him for who he is. He deserves it.
  • Organising fundraising events through the church PCC was a real pleasure.
  • Lots of fun nights out with friends.
  • Continuing to build a few websites this year. They seem to be growing in popularity.
  • Completing my NPQH was a relief. It was very demanding and I felt that it kept me away from my 'real job'. But I'm very pleased that I have finished.
  • Finishing second in an interview for my first headship in May was disappointing but fair. I have put looking for jobs on hold until after baby arrives and my wife feels ready for me to put my energy into it.
  • Enjoying a great year teaching Year Five was wonderful. I had amazing colleagues.
  • Appointing four fantastic NQTs and watching them develop has been a pleasure.
  • Teaching a more able Year Six Maths group was a real pleasure and I was very happy with their success.
  • Becoming a non-teaching Deputy Head in September has given me the time to focus on whole school developments which I love.


My Goals for 2015:
  • Be a great dad to our new little boy, due Jan 15th 2015.
  • Be a great dad to our little girl and make sure she doesn't feel left out. I can't wait for her to start school in September and begin another adventure.
  • Find my first headteacher's position. I need to move on from my school - I love it, but I need a challenge. I feel ready to become a headteacher. I hope the right job finds me.
  • Blog more and become more reflective. I've hardly blogged at all. I guess I haven't had the time, but I want to make time in 2015.
  • Use Twitter more productively. I feel like I've lost touch with it. I want to take part in things like #sltchat.
  • Look after my dad more.
  • Complete a 365 photo project.
  • Keep a diary each day.
  • Manage my time more effectively - this will be on my list of goals every year.
  • Keep the house tidier - this will be a challenge with a baby in the house!
  • Continue to find ways to save money.
  • Run 100 miles - I managed to achieve 0 miles in 2014.
  • Swim 100 miles.
  • Give more thoughtful presents.
  • Go out with my friends at least once a month.
  • Continue to help with the church PCC.
  • Begin to write a book - I have a couple of ideas, but I need the time to do it.
  • Sort out my garage and loft.
  • Finish sorting my garden.
  • Get my office straight again.
  • Read lots - with my new Kindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment