Monday 13 February 2012

Multitasking


People brag about being able to multitask.The latest newsletter from nanoTasker says:

"Multitasking is actually an illusion, as we do not actively think about 2 or more items simultaneously in our conscious mind. Multitasking is really about how rapidly we can switch tasks, recall the details of each and be effective. This puts a lot of strain on our minds and in the short term causes mental fatigue and leads to burnout. Every time you switch tasks you are losing your momentum and causing a 15-45 minute transition period to the new task."
This would explain a lot about why I find it hard to multitask. The newsletter contains some good advice which I am doing my best to follow:
  • Try to carve out large periods of time to focus on a single larger task and avoid switching to another task until it’s done.
  • Try to batch like-tasks together. For instance make all your calls at once, or work on writing tasks for a while.
  • Instead of constantly handling new items as they come in write them down and handle them when the time is right. Very few actual emergencies really exist.
  • Take notice of how often you are switching tasks, the cause for switching and be creative on how to combat switching them.
This next half-term is a frantically busy one. I have so many appointments, courses and meetings that I'm not getting the chance to concentrate on what I need to do. If I organise my time like the advice suggests I think I will be productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment