Sunday 12 February 2012

Week 7: Your least favourite lesson when you were at school – what is it like to teach it now?

When I was at primary school I used to hate Science. I just didn't get it. I always appreciated the purpose of having a good scientific understanding, but I found it hard to remember all of those tricky words and concepts. From what I recall, science when I was school didn't involve a great deal of practical work. In fact, I can't really remember doing any.

Nowadays, due to my non-contact arrangements, I don't teach Science and haven't done for a few years. However, when I did teach science I tried to make it as practical as possible. I wanted the children to appreciate the 'miracles' of science and be amazed whenever they discovered something. Understanding those tricky words could often be difficult so I tried to make learning the vocabulary as fun as I could.

I do think that science is probably the subject that is hardest to make exciting in primary school simply because we don't have the facilities that high schools have in their science labs. It's in high school where we did all of the fun stuff like mix chemicals, use Bunsen burners and dissect.

No comments:

Post a Comment