Monday 1 August 2011

Monthly Review: July 2011

July is probably the month that I like least. It is, without a doubt, the busiest month of the year. When people (non-teachers) say things like, "You must be winding down for the end of the year now," I get really annoyed. It's more like the exact opposite! After feeling lucky to have had two weeks off at Whit, the extra week that we have in school in July seems much longer!


This is what has kept me busy this month:

Christening
The month began with our baby's christening. The preparation for the day was immense, mainly because we decided to cater ourselves. We had asked almost one hundred guests and just about everyone said yes! A mammoth sandwich making took place at one family member's house, a sausage roll factory was at another, trifles were made elsewhere and lots of salads and other things were made here. It was a real team effort, but Baby Lily enjoyed a lovely service and a great reception afterwards. She was very well behaved, despite the heat that day.


Moving to Year Four
After nine years in Year Six, I moved to Year Three at the start of this year. It's been a brilliant year. But, due to various staff changes in school, I will be moving to Year Four next year. The end of the year was spent packing things into boxes once again, ready to move to a new classroom.


Primary Deputy
As a result of moving year groups once again, I've decided to change my blog and Twitter username once again. I'm now @primarydeputy, a name which I can't believe was still available!


Flat Stanley
Our final project in our English lessons was based on Flat Stanley. It was probably my favourite project of the whole year and I could easily have planned more on it. But it kept the children focused and working hard right up until the end of the year. @purplelady1979's class exchanged letters with my class, using Flat Stanley as a reason for writing. This was the first time I have tried something like this. I just wish we had started this earlier so that we could do an even better job!


School University
The school's university project, which I organise, came to its conclusion with a graduation assembly in which all course leaders are invited to speak about what happened on their course. It went very well!


Football and Sports Day
A colleague and I organise various football competitions and they were finally finished in July. Our sports day took place on the day it was supposed to this year. This was the first time in three years that this has happened!


Catalyst Science Discovery Centre
We had a brilliant visit to the Catalyst Science Discovery Centre in Widnes. It was a great day, and it helped keep the children working hard.


Falling behind
The backlog of things I need to do has now grown significantly. I need to sort out: my new classroom, my office in school, my office at home, emails, my desktop, the garden and the garage. It's going to be a busy summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment