Wednesday 31 August 2011

If I could design apps, this is what my teacher app would be...

I don't know how much of a market there is out there for an iPhone (or Android) app for teachers to help them with their professional work. But I know that I could use one. However, so far, I've not come across one that I would use. Here are a few ideas for what I would want from an app:

  • Secure - It's absolutely vital that the app is secure. A pincode and also a password should probably be standard.
  • Accessible online - Everything done on the app must be stored online which I must be able to access. Again, security is important.
  • Add details of each class I teach - I want to be able to add each child (probably first names only, for security reasons) and then attach data for each child as and when I collect it.
  • Camera for photographing evidence - The app should enable me to take photographs of evidence and attach it to a particular child(ren).
  • Spreadsheet - The data should be stored in a spreadsheet style grid which I can customise to my liking. I can then add assessments to the grid to build up evidence for the progress of each child in the class. The spreadsheet should also be able to do things like calculate average levels, average progress etc.
  • Make notes - I must be able to make notes to accompany each piece of evidence in the spreadsheet.
  • Linked to documents - It should be linked to the National Curriculum and other relevant documents so that I can immediately view expectations and plan accordingly.
  • Planning - As the app should be linked to an online facility, I should be able to access my planning through the app.
  • Class name picker - The app should allow me to pick names of children in the class at random. 
  • To do list - The app should allow me to set up a to do list for my class.
Do you use any teacher apps?

No comments:

Post a Comment